Extracts from Government
is a quaint old village of infinite charm.
the township was originally planned, lots were
for sale in the Adelaide newspapers on
6 and 7 November. 1849.
were built and various storekeepers and
tradespeople opened for
...The Devonshire Hotel was built
...The hotel did not rely only on bar
but provided accommodation for weary
...A large concert hall was provided
where meetings of pastoralists,
mining men were held
and great use was made of
it during the agricultural shows...
convenient during a dry discussion to send for
The publicans dispensed good
cheer, fires roared in the
kerosene lamps swung from rafters,
and rows of
candles illuminated the shelves...
Devonshire gave up it's licence in 1898 and became
temperance hotel, then a boarding house and
a capacious private